Roasting intensifies the flavor of canned tomatoes.
- 1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 2 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. bucatini or spaghetti
- Finely grated Parmesan (for serving)
Preheat oven to 425°. Combine tomatoes (crushing them with your hands), garlic, anchovies, butter, and ½ tsp. red pepper flakes in a 13×9” baking dish; season with salt and black pepper. Roast, tossing halfway through, until garlic is very soft and mixture is jammy, 35–40 minutes. Using a potato masher or fork, mash to break up garlic and tomatoes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta cooking liquid.
Return pasta to pot and add tomato sauce and pasta cooking liquid. Cook over medium-high heat, tossing until sauce coats pasta, about 3 minutes. Serve topped with Parmesan and more red pepper flakes.
DO AHEAD: Tomato sauce can be made 4 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill. Reheat before mixing with pasta.