Key tools on keep it all together and win.
Imagine working your butt off for five years straight. Working 70 to 80 hours a week with little to no sleep is just the norm for you. Never mind the premature greying, and migraine headaches that you’ve developed all for that magical moment of being named partner. Think about all that you’ve missed from weddings to quality time with family all for that anti-climatic moment. Was it worth it?
Now, if you are using money as a metric, I’m sure you would say yes.
However, if you factor in the hours of your life that you will never get back all for a title and possibly a new parking space—was it all worth it? As a life coach, I primarily deal with individuals that are extremely successful outwardly, but have neglected themselves and others. That risk cost them more than just time. It also cost them relationships and moments of joy that far outweigh any paycheck.
I’m here to offer you some key tools on keeping balance in your life. Make no mistake, I want you to get the title. I just want you to get that title with joy. Here we go:
1. Time with friends and family. Never break or reschedule this time for work unless it’s dire. Show those who matter to you that you matter to them. Remember, consistency provides comfort especially in relationships.
2. Fitness. You have to take care of you. Exercise provides a release and gives clarity. The endorphins released provide energy and mental stability.
3. Date Night. I don’t mean with your spouse or significant other. I mean you. Take yourself out and spend some time hanging out with you. Even if it’s just playing music in your room. Zone out and leave work at work. Turn off work mode and turn on life mode. Find time to enjoy yourself.
4. Work Efficiency. Not everything requires hours of work. Find efficient ways to lighten your load. If you take some time out to carefully examine your work load, you will discover there are some smart shortcuts that will help you cut back hours you spend at work.
5. Definitive Desires. It’s important to know why you want that title. Is it to stunt on social media, is it to fulfill an insecurity of yours, or do you truly desire to use that platform as a means for change? Knowing why we do the things we do will always help us in our choices.
Remember we have the ability to not only change our world, but the world as a whole. Be great!